Sunday, October 22, 2006

Teenagers: Idiots in Every Country

In an effort to satisfy a desire for ice cream which I'd been holding for about four days, I convinced Rich and Tom to abandon cocktails for a brief interim to journey to G & D's, Oxford's very own ice cream shop, for a refreshing chocolatey treat last night. We arrived and each purchased a 'Cookie Monster,' in which ice cream was sandwiched between two GIANT cookies! (Unfortunately Tom's ice cream was chili flavored, but that's a whole other story.) I should've known better. It was a waste of my three pounds because I couldn't eat it all. But no matter: teenagers to the rescue!! A drunken group of teenagers arrived, and recognized Tom from Scottish dancing and thus invited themselves to our table. This was not a major imposition, until an 18 year old reached across the table and took part of my cookie without asking! I looked at Rich and Tom flabbergasted and did the only thing I could. I laughed. And then I thought to myself, "Self, how could these doofs get into Oxford?" I wasn't keen on her touching my food but, we wouldn't be there long. The humor continued as one of the girls looked at me and said, "You're American, right?" I said yes and then she looked at Rich and asked the same question. He responded "Yeah." in his best American accent which was hilarious because he's from Wales. The night reached its high point when the youngest looking, brace-faced 18 year old, the very same one who stole my cookie, began to throw said cookie at Tom, whom she'd been calling 'Mucky I Never Wear a Kilt' because she thought it was funny. Mucky handled it all very well. I would've punched her. But it just goes to show you that even in the capital of higher learning and intelligence, stupid teenagers still exist. And here, they can legally drink.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz, you are beginning to sound as if the school you are supposed to attend, is a sideline, and not a place to prepare for the future. Sounds like too much levity in your life. Get serious, remember my parting words ???

Joe said...

Strange, I never pictured you as the violent type!

Reader Locations