Monday, November 27, 2006

The Blog Can't Keep Me Down:

I apologize for my lack of entries over the last few weeks. To say things have
been busy is an understatement, but really, being busy had nothing to do with my
lack of writing. I wrote an entry around the 10th of November which my blog
decided to erase on its own. In protest I've refused to write. Also, I'm quite
afraid I will once again spend an hour of my time writing only to find my entry
gone! I can't handle another great loss. It's too much. So, enough of the
dramatics. Cross my fingers and here I go:

I'm a bit perplexed as to how I will begin this monumental blog. Readers
beware, this will be a long one. Chronological order seems to make sense, but
I've lost the ability to think back that far. I suppose I'll move backward and
hit the highlights. Most days have been spent in bed with various illnesses.
Three trips to the doctor later I was asked, "When are you going home?" as if
to imply that wellness will evade me in this British utopia. Perhaps then,
it's not a utopia afterall. (Maybe I haven't stepped away from the dramatics!
:) Hee.)

I spent yesterday in London with my dear friends Ruth and Sam, and met up for
dinner with my friend Chris (from UL/Louisville. Doing a Master's in
Comparitive Ethnic Conflict at Queen's University in Belfast. So nice to see
someone from home!!). We spent time in the British Museum, Harrod's,
and.....Russell Square!!! It was incredibly amusing for me being in a place
that said Russell everywhere. Russell Square, Russell Station, Russell Street,
Russell Hotel, Russell restaurants....I could go on for ages. I will certainly
be taking Mom and Dad back on their visit to the UK. The British Museum was
less exciting for me simply because my historian's mind could not take in all
there was to see in a way that suited me. The museum is vast and the
collections are remarkable. It would literally take me at least a week to look
through the museum the way I wanted to. We hit the major exhibits seeing the
relics from the burial ship of Sutton Hoo and spending an immense amount of time
in the Egyptian collection. Cleopatra's mummy and the Rosetta Stone were of
course my favorites. I am not ashamed to admit that I teared up upon
encountering the Rosetta Stone. It was a dream nearly 10 years in the making to
see it. It was wonderful!! *sigh*

Harrod's is like a museum. It encompasses an entire city block and because of
the Christmas season was packed full of so many people that I felt sardined in
every department. It was an amazing store however and I am very proud to say
that I left without purchasing anything! Though, if I have time I will return
for some christmas shopping for others before I head home.

Last week we had MCR Guest Night in which only graduate students and their
guests eat in hall. We packed in nearly 150 people for a five course meal! It
was lovely. I brought with me one of my fellow historians, Bryony, and enjoyed
a night of stuffing myself! It was good I stuffed myself for Guest Night
because Thanksgiving was a rather large disappointment. With no time off to
cook, a turkey was out of the question. Without certain staples like canned
pumpkin, the fixings left a lot to be desired as well. I got together with
three other Americans and we cooked a nice meal of Chicken, green beans, corn,
Mac and Cheese, cranberry sauce, and sweet potatoes. It was great food, but I
really missed being home. Mom and Dad have sent me the proper Thanksgiving
fixings, which should arrive tomorrow, and after term ends this week I will take
the time and cook a proper dinner for my British friends. I was redeemed by the
fact that I spoke to nearly all of my close family on Thursday however. In
particular, Granny and Ted, Aunt Kathy and Uncle Steve, and Aidan, whose voices
I hadn't heard since I left home! It was wonderful!

Speaking of wonderful things...I travelled a few weeks ago to Blenheim Palace,
the childhood home of Sir Winston Churchill which lies in Woodstock, about 30
min. from Oxford. I spent all day with my friend Rich exploring the palace and
the extensive grounds (we walked at least 10 miles that day!) and learning how
to make a Christmas pudding. I tasted my first Christmas pudding last week and
was quite shocked at how delicious it is! There will be Christmas puddings
given out as gifts this year! You can't get more British than a Christmas
pudding! Yummy.

I suppose those are the highlights. I've had many wonderful letters and cards
from the Coulter family (Jeff and Regina, Jeffrey, Mimi, Beth, Char), Aunt
Norma, Walter and Marilyn, and Liza! These have been a welcome addition to my
pigeon hole and now all adorn my walls. My research is starting to focus
finally. I'm looking at the role of parenthood and the liturgy of parenthood
on the saints. I'm not sure exactly where I'm going with this, but it's great
to have some direction. I have wonderful friends here, and I'm very much
looking forward to coming home for three weeks at Christmas. I can't wait to
be with friends and family watching Cardinal athletics and enjoying each others
company. It's sure to be a busy and stressful, but wonderful holiday. I love
everyone. Please send your prayers for my safe travels home! I'm off to eat
cake! Cheers!

No comments:

Reader Locations