I'll Be Home for Christmas:
Well, I can't believe it, but tomorrow morning, bright and early, I set off back across the Atlantic home for Christmas. It has been exactly 12 weeks (3 months) since I first left home. In some respects, such as missing family and friends (cough Jeffrey cough) it has felt so much longer than a quarter of my year. But in others, new experiences, new friends, new adventures (I could go on for ages) it feels as if I've just arrived. I guess I really have just arrived. Although I'm quite settled in my life in Oxford, I haven't been here very long. Everyday there are still new things to see, new friends to make. I really do love it here. I wish there was some way to reconcile here and home more easily, but I wouldn't give up either for anything. It's amazing how I have been able to maintain both, and though it's not easy to be away, I have been so blessed in coming here. I am thankful for this opportunity, and thankful for the time at home. I now pray that I arrive safely.
I've spent the last two weeks engaged in Christmas activities and research endeavors. I've completed my Christmas shopping and though I have little to offer because of the expense of Britain, I'm happy to say that I've tried to provide everyone with a little piece of England. I've also picked a research topic for my thesis and begun the work with my primary source, a 15th century edition of the Golden Legend as Englished by William Caxton. I will be looking at the role of parenthood in the hagiography of saints and I'm very excited by this prospect!
I went to Christmas dinner in hall in the 8th week of term and enjoyed a turkey dinner accompanied by a rousing and drunken version of The Twelve Days of Christmas as sung by the Oriel Chapel Choir. Sadly they could not remember all the words despite the fact that they were printed in the choir books which they held in hand. :) I also cooked a belated Thanksgiving feast for eight at the beginning of 9th week which was enjoyed by all. It was my first attempt at such a large dinner and was quite successful! At least I count it as successful by the evidence of no left-overs!
This past weekend I made my way into Cardiff, Wales and was welcomed warmly into the home of my friend Rich's parents. His mother cooked a big Sunday roast for us. It was wonderful to see a city much more like Louisville in its structure and layout. And it was absolutely fantastic to be in a family home again. I hadn't realized just how much I was out of my normal routine being away from Mom and Dad and the Coulters until being in Cardiff. It didn't feel like Christmas until being in their home. Thank you Sandford's!
We've had wonderful Christmas parties and dinners for the last few weeks. I am quite overloaded with food and I believe I have gained back the weight I lost initially in my arrival here! So much food!!! I am fearful for what happens back in the presence of the wonderful cooking of Mom, Regina, and Granny! I will surely need new clothes to compensate for weight gain! Anyone want to take long walks with me while I'm home? :)
I fly out at 6:20 am EST tomorrow morning and will arrive in Cincy at 3:30 pm EST. Those awake please send prayers for my safe travel! I hate to fly! This time I don't have Jeffrey to distract me! I love you all on both sides of the Atlantic. Those at home...I can't wait to see you!! Those in Oxford...I will miss you very much. Merry Christmas, Happy Christmas to all! See everyone soon! Cheers!!
Wednesday, December 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Safe travels, Elizabeth! You're in our prayers.
Post a Comment