Thursday, February 26, 2009

But That's What I Said:

The problem with reading extensively in one's own research field is that eventually (and unfortunately sometimes often) you run into someone who has written what you think, and in my case, what you've been arguing for two years, except (and here's the problem) technically they wrote it first. Now, there's validation in this. Yeah, a great scholar and some other historians think what I think. I'm not crazy. This can be done! But on the other side is that worry that you are hovering dangerously close to "It's already BEEN done." Thankfully, I'm not there just yet. Yes, certain historians are making the same conclusions as I, but they are not getting to them in exactly the same way and lucky for me NONE of them seems to be citing proper sources for their conclusions. Yes, I agree my theories about parenthood and the Church are rather common sense in a way. I mean, that's the point. I'm arguing that parents did want to be good parents in the later Middle Ages. And that the Church wanted them to be good parents too. But you can't just come out and say something no matter how much it makes sense. You have to back it up! Evidence people, evidence. I'm writing "Evidence????" in my notes a lot these days. It's getting a little frustrating. But at the same time, I'm glad. If someone else has said it the way I want to say it then I'd be SOL (as my Daddy says). Right now, I think (and hope!) I'm still in luck. :)

Love to all,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Reader Locations