So to recap, since I've not told you anything really...
Last week I worked extremely hard and prayed extremely hard. I went to chapel 3 times and was in the library when it opened every morning, sometimes staying until it closed. What did I learn from this? Good things happen when you work hard and pray hard (sorry, not play hard). What good things you ask?
I did a lot last week. I presented my first paper to an Oxford seminar, the Medieval Church and Culture Seminar, which went fairly well. I'm hyper-critical of myself, so I'm trying to embrace what others have said and take compliments and then learn from it all. There were some big names there, Michael Clanchy and Chris Wickham (google them if you've not heard of them), and a lot of my wonderfully supportive friends. Rich and Sophie even came, and they are not medievalists or historians! You can check out Sophie's take on the seminar at her blog here: http://clamorousvoice.wordpress.com/ It's currently the third entry down, but I suggest reading her blog because she's amazing and a fantastic writer. The discussion after my paper was the best bit...people were engaged and helpful, providing me with references and their advice, which is so helpful as a first year DPhil student here. My supervisor and college advisor (Benj and Ian) came as well, and came to the pub after to celebrate. I felt so very well supported. It's a lovely feeling in academia, fleeting, but lovely.
On Tuesday I also found out that All Souls College (the big scary one that doesn't have any undergrads and only 3 grad students) is giving me 500 pounds towards my research, just because I wrote a letter and asked for it! :) Brilliant!!! And yay! Thank you E.O. James Bequest.
Friday was the BIG day. And I was so surprised at how well the transfer viva went. They've passed me from PRS to DPhil, approving my project and giving me some very helpful advice and guidance. It was a scary, but useful exercise and I'm feeling so much more confident and comfortable with my work as a result.
I spent the weekend celebrating with my friends here and resting (shopping, nice dinners, sleeping, watching tv, all that good stuff). And serendipitously my parents sent me a package of yummy treats and lovely gifts, which I received on Friday just as my viva ended. Thank you world's best parents! I also spent Sunday afternoon dishing out Ice Cream, with Sophie, Gerhard, Carla, and Nick (the wonderful MCR and JCR Welfare reps) for our tired and stressed grad students and finalists. We had a really good turnout and everyone was thankful. I was even told I was the best Junior Dean ever. :) And finally, I got to read the College Prayer at Chapel last night. Good times.
I feel very blessed and excited about the possibilities in my life and with my work. I cannot say thank you enough to my absolutely stellar family, friends, and Father God. Amazing, all of you, amazing. I am so grateful. I hope I can continue to live and work in a way which is productive and positive and do things which glorify God. Now, if only I could spend time with all those wonderful people at home...
Love to all on both sides of the pond,
Elizabeth
Monday, May 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Sweet pea!
If your friends and family click on this link, it'll take them directly to the entry.
http://clamorousvoice.wordpress.com/2009/05/20/fasiculus-morum-a-fourteenth-century-preachers-handbook/
Hope that helps. Incidentally, are you doing MCR Formal this week? Congratulations again, and I really do think the ice cream formal was a success - I had a few good comments round JMH today.
Love xxx
xxx
Post a Comment