I love rainy days. I'm not sure how much I will love them when they are ever-present and cold, but I love rainy days. I love the smell of rain, I love the cool breeze it brings on an otherwise dreadfully hot summer day. I watched it rain this afternoon outside the large window in my classroom. The kids were not interested in the rain, only frustrated that they could not play outside. I found myself struck by the beauty of it; the flowers outside seemed to stand up instantly as the water reached the ground. It reminded me of how quickly things change; how the world so easily rebuilds itself.
My students operate in the same manner. A life and death, blood-curdling cry can be changed to uproarious laughter nearly instantaneously. It's alarming at the speed with which they can refocus their attention. It's disheartening that they cannot maintain their attention when I need them to. It's refreshing that they have the ability to be interested in so many things. I love when they ask me questions. I wish they would ask more. And I love the absolute trust they give me, because whatever answer I give, they take it as an absolute truth. It's funny how they can hate me one second for a punishment I give and then run up and state with certainty, "Ms. Elizabeth, I love you" just a moment later. I could have worked many other better paying jobs this summer. I could've set myself up in a better financial footing, and yet, I have a rewarding job, which is more than I can say for most people. I quite enjoy comforting one of my girls after they've fallen; or impressing the boys with my speed at freeze tag. My job renews my youth.
I can't wait until I see Isaac again. He was only six months old or so the last time we spent time together. His 1st birthday is rapidly approaching and it has occurred to me that it will be many years before he knows me. I am destined to reintroduce and reimpress him at every infrequent meeting. I suppose I should have to work for the love of my nephew. He is so smart, he deserves a fully involved and interested aunt. I am that of course, but I wish I could be more of the ever-present type aunt. I will say though, that my aunt and uncle were very present, despite the distance between us. I suppose I'm just amazed at how quickly he has grown and what an indepent little boy he is becoming. Erika called me this week to ask if his biting was normal at his age. It struck me that it was a little early, leading me to believe that he is much more intelligent than the average 10 month old. He has already figured out that there are ways to get what you want even without the luxury of words. I know he will thrive and operate much more effectively with words, but I am proud that he figured out that force can sometimes get you that toy of your dreams from a bigger bully. Go Isaac. I'm proud he's a fighter. Maybe there's a good Cards fan in him yet.
Saturday, July 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment