The post-vacation letdown is a doozie. I swear, you think you want to go back to regular life because you are refreshed and energized, but then you realize that what you really want to do is stay on vacation where you feel refreshed and energized. Of course, I have gained a few pounds eating in an environment where I feel so relaxed I convince myself that ice cream is actually good for me. Potato salad: healthy. Reece's Peanut Butter Cups: delicious and nutritious. Yep, the vacation fog is a wonderful thing. No wonder the French have 6 weeks of government mandated, paid vacation a year. Now that's brilliant.
I miss the beach; I miss Jeffrey's nieces and the wonderful contentment that comes from unconditionally loving a child. There were too many moments where Jeffrey and I looked at each other and thought, "Yes, we want one of those." Thankfully, we are people of reason, otherwise I think we would have fifteen kids by the time we're 35. But those moments singing Lily to sleep made me question my devotion to school. I admire those women, such as my cousin Erika, who can have both a career and an amazing relationship with their children. The thought of both is just exhausting. All in good time I must continue to remind myself. All in good time. I can do much more for my children as a fulfilled and educated woman than I can do now, too young to know better. And yet, damn, our children would be cute. :)
So, what is it? Something in the neighborhood of 9-10 weeks before I leave. Dear Lord, it's coming on fast. As it nears I continue to remind myself of the sage-like advice of my much missed cousin Aidan: it will all unfold as it should. I need to work only to eliminate as much stress and suffering as possible. This leads me to wonder: doesn't the two-year-long composition of a 150+ page master's thesis equal suffering? Just a thought. But I won't know for sure until I try.
Sunday, July 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment