Saturday, October 21, 2006

Neil Diamond and the Hokey Pokey:

Last night was a lesson in the internationalism of Neil Diamond. Now, there have been countless occasions in my month-long adventure here in which I've said things like "really?" or "I didn't know that!" because there are many cultural differences that I didn't think would exist for some reason or another. For instance, when discussing some of the differences between our two countries, my friend Rich asked "Why do people always say 'Have a nice day' when leaving somewhere in the US?" It was something I hadn't thought about before and something that I hadn't realized wasn't being said to me here. A valid question. My reply was something along the lines of "Well, because it's a nice thing to say." I shot back with "Why do you all (I didn't say y'all, though I kinda wish I had) not say 'You're welcome' after someone says 'Thank you'?" Apparently he had been wondering why we do. And it struck me how it's the little things in a new place that are more shocking than the overt differences. I would kill to get a 'Bless you' over here after I sneeze. I think I may start saying it to myself!

Anyhoo. Neil Diamond. I've been plagued with questions about Kentucky Fried Chicken since I first arrived. Not that I mind, I'm proud there is some frame of reference for my state, though I would be more satisfied with the Derby, but that seems to be small potatoes over here. Besides, they pronounce it 'Darby' anyway. But, the fascination with chicken soon wears off, and well, even the other Americans know very little about our fair commonwealth. And quite frankly, I'm tired of saying 'Looeyville' when people ask where I'm from. Not even the other Americans say it correctly. I am determined to teach everyone to say it properly however. Oh! And there's a pronunciation sample on wikipedia (thanks Rich!)! Who knew? But I digress. Last night, somehow, the conversation came upon the wonderful Neil Diamond. Tom began to sing, seems he is a big fan. And I said "Do you know 'Kentucky Woman'?" And he began to sing!! I was so excited! Finally, a new Kentucky reference outside of fried chicken, bourbon, and my lack of southern accent! Thank you Neil Diamond. Thank you for your beautiful and immortal words about we, the shining and loved women of Kentucky.

As for the Hokey Pokey. Thank you Murray, for your presence at this conversation, because I would've hated having to defend this on my own. In the same night, I posed a question about the music selection which played. Sam said that it was a "German version of the Hokey Cokey," to which Murray and I said concurrently, "The what?" "The Hokey Cokey. You know, you put your right foot in, you put your right foot out, you put your right foot in and..." "No!" Murray and I exclaimed. "It's the Hokey Pokey" with extra emphasis on the P. There was mass confusion. Ruth kept saying to me, "No, surely you're lying. It's not the Hokey Pokey. You must be joking." And I kept defending, "No, I'm not lying. It's the Hokey Pokey." She then said, "Maybe it's not the same song. Sing it." To which I did sing it and we were all shocked to figure out that it was in fact the same song. I am interested to know where this division happened. How could the Hokey Pokey Cokey have two different names? Maybe it was a three worded song before and Europe and North America each removed a different word for a better rhythmic fit with the tune. I say North America because Murray is from Canada. I'm glad he is too, because if not, I would have had to defend the honor of the Hokey Pokey to five Brits all by myself.

1 comment:

Joe said...

It's Hokey Pokey in Ireland. Also people do say "you're welcome" and "bless you".

For some strange reason people keep thinking I must be from the US. I'm from Dublin, which is closer to Oxford than some parts of the UK.

Reader Locations