A U of L Game with a Blog Mixed in:
Hiya everyone! I'm writing while listening to the U of L game, so if I curse accidentally or something is spelled incorrectly please blame my excitement/anger because of this game. Nine lead changes already. I can't believe this game. I wish I was there! Oh well...GO CARDS!!!
Thursday night I played darts with Rich, Sam, and Tom against the four best players at Mansfield College. Two of the Mansfield players are seeded 1 and 3 in the individual tournament, so we were dealing with good players. I have to say, it was the most upsetting and disappointing game I've ever witnessed. We each had to play individually and then we played two games of doubles. Rich and Tom won their singles, Sam and I lost ours. I'm not upset with my loss. I've only been playing for a total of a week or so, and I nearly beat him...got stuck on the outshot. Sam and Rich then lost their doubles and Tom and I...we won ours! You know how we won? I hit the winning outshot...that's how! Whoo hoo!!! That tied us 3-3 so we had to enter into a tie-breaker, which we loss so closely it was frustrating. We were playing for fun, not to win. But to come so close to beating arguably the best team...grrr. What was more upsetting however, was the way in which I was treated by the opposition. There was not one iota of respect from them. I heard whispering that it would be an easy victory by playing me because I was "a woman." Then as we shook their hands after the tie-breaker, one of them said to me, "Thanks sweetheart." Sweetheart? Ha! I wanted to show him precisely why I'm not a sweetheart, but I did not. I couldn't believe it. Though, in a world of male academics with large egos I shouldn't expect much more. Ok, I'm done whining now. Sorry to all those non-egoed male academics reading this. You, I love. The others, not so much.
I love how the crowd is booing Nutter every time he touches the ball. Though I think it could inspire some better play from him. Seton Hall is 7 of 8 from the 3-point line! Where's the defense? We are much better than them, but they are shooting very well. Just glad there's a nine point cushion currently. Could someone please tell me what a 'manly rebound' in basketball entails? The WHAS commentators just said Derrick Caracter pulled one down. Perhaps this is where not being able to see the game is detrimental.
Went to Balliol College for dinner Friday night. The food was pretty good. I was amazed that Balliol doesn't have formal dinners. What they did was special for us. I suppose I'm beginning to take that sort of thing for granted. Oriel has formal 6 nights a week. Most colleges don't, which is sad I think. Balliol's hall is a renovated chapel. High wooden, vaulted ceilings. Stained glass windows. Really lovely. It was an enjoyable experience.
Ok...seriously...44-42 at the half? What happened? We're letting a team that shoots %30-something on threes shoot %88! Oh my gosh!!! Perhaps I shouldn't be writing this while listening. I feel as if I'm not giving the proper attention to my Cards.
Well, tonight is the last formal hall of term. That's right, Hilary Term is nearly over! I can't believe it! It also means that the deadlines for my essays are rapidly approaching. *sigh* I met with some of my fellow medievalists for lunch Thursday and was surprised to see others doing the same or worse than me. I took comfort in this. We've also begun our research presentations. Mine isn't until mid-June, so I have time. After listening to Rory give his Thursday though, I know I've got a lot to do. But I think my seminar will be interested in my research, so that's a positive!
Back to my Cards now. Have to pay attention. Priorities, priorities. :)
Love,
Elizabeth
Sunday, March 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment