Monday, April 28, 2008

Serenity Through Culinary Experimentation:

These days I'm finding that I really enjoy cooking. So much so that I either stay home, go home, or make my lunch from home and take into town everyday. Yeah, I just don't want to eat a sandwich when I can grill some chicken on my own and stick it on a yummy and nutritious salad. But really, salad is just the beginning. I've made stews, roasted things, baked, and generally thrown together what I've got in the fridge to create a great meal, which is what I really think is a sign of a good cook. But this past weekend I surprised myself and cooked not only fish (which I've always thought to be difficult), but my very first pie! Yup, I rolled out the crust, made the filling, and baked that sucker til it was golden, set, warm, and delicious. And you know what kind of pie I made? A derby pie (little 'd' because I wouldn't want to get into copyright troubles). It was so yummy my friends and I ate it in two days. Ruth even liked it, and she's not a fan of nuts. :)

I'm not sure why, but making this pie and having it turn out so well made me more proud of myself than I have been in a long time. Perhaps it's because I take pride in my cooking. Perhaps it's because I'm proud of the fact that I made something from home and represented it well. Perhaps it's because in cooking well I feel I'm taking on the genetic predisposition to good cooking I've felt from my Mom, Granny, Grandma, and the rest of my family (and Regina too!). I think it's all these things. I think it's also so nice to know that I will be able to take care of my own family when I have one. I will be able to cook yummy food that nurtures and sustains them, and maybe gives them fond memories as well. More than anything though, I find it comforting to cook and to enjoy my food. I like to plan for my meals and make them up on the spot. And I love seeing how my cooking makes me healthier and happier than eating something from a restaurant, or college, or pre-made from the grocery. I guess, cooking for myself nurtures and sustains me too, just as if I were eating at home.

Love,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Reader Locations