Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Running for a Cure:

I hinted back in March that I had something up my sleeves similar to Eric's head shaving. Now with about five weeks to go it's time to reveal all and ask for your donations. I'm running (yes running) a 5k for Cancer Research UK on June 7, at 11 am, here in Oxford. Whoo! I've been training for a few weeks now and can run somewhere between 1/3-1/2 of it. I can run five minutes straight without losing my breath! It's amazing how the body adapts to stress placed on it through physical activity. Each time you do it, it's easier than the last. So really, I'm learning, it's all about persistence.

Why a 5k you may ask? Well, I've written about wanting to be a healthier person and running has always been a difficult thing for me, so I thought I would challenge myself and give it a go. Thanks to Erika I can Jazzercise to my hearts content for an hour, or jump up and down for ages without it feeling too difficult. But running, well that's always been beyond me. I can't say that I like running, but I do really like the feeling of making it through my required run. And I like exercising now (I'm doing something for 30 min straight at least 5 times a week). I feel like an altogether more fit and healthier person. And I like that. Plus...I can eat more bad things when I exercise. :)

Honestly though, most of you know how hard my Aunt Kate's death hit me and my family in 2004. Losing Kate made me realize how important it is to be health conscious and to ask questions about your health and to know your body. My aunt was so important to our family and so selfless, and although I admire her so much, I think in terms of health, we have to be selfish. So the money I raise running will be in memory of my wonderful Aunt Kate, and I hope will serve as a reminder to everyone to take care of yourselves to the best of your abilities. The 250 pounds I want to raise ($500) is not much, but it will help to continue to find treatments, cures, and hope for those with cancer.



I could've run for so many people. There are so many I know who have died from this disease and not one of them is more important than the other. But Kate to me is ever-present in my thoughts and I am always conscious of her absence. So please, give what you can and let me know if it's in honor or memory of someone who is important to you because I will keep all of those people in my mind and in my heart when I run. It's just 5k, but it's the most important 5k I've ever crossed, both personally and monetarily. Thank you so much family and friends. If you can't afford to give anything, but want me to add someone to my list of inspirations, please do that as well. At the end of the day, it's more about the people impacted than the financial gain. And don't worry, I'll keep you updated on my progress! :)



http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/elizabethrussell

BIG love and THANKS to all,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Reader Locations