Amazing huh?! There is nothing quite like it.
I'm currently reading the Fasciculus Morum a preacher's handbook from the 14th century. It is a lovely treatise on the seven vices and virtues and I'm learning a lot about medieval theology. I'm also learning a lot about Christianity in general, and the continuity in our modern faith from its Catholic foundation. The glimpses of social life are present, which makes my life a bit more joyous day to day. I am not searching in vain for something that does not exist! Yay! But I wanted to share with you a strange excerpt found in the explanation of the vice Pride. It reminded me of some cruel kids with whom I grew up who used to torture animals just because they could. I was a bit surprised to discover this was not a unique exercise in power. See the example: “…as it happens with kites and crows which boys catch and blind and then force to fly aloft, so that they fly miserably hither and thither and climb up high until in their blindness they fall down dead with their necks broken.” Yikes! So...um...boys really will be boys?! I don't mean to offend the squeamish, but I think this illustrates quite well how very little humans have changed over the last seven hundred years. I hope my research continues to prove this, but in more pleasing and pleasant ways.
Missing and loving all,
And glad I'm not a boy,
Elizabeth

1 comment:
Sorry my font went all funny at the end. I think blogger doesn't like my inputting the quote from Word. But I wasn't about to retype it! :) Love to all!
Post a Comment