Friday, June 25, 2010

Exhaustion:

I'm exhausted. Honestly. Sleeping 12-hours a night, can't stay awake past 9, phone ringing doesn't wake me exhausted. It's made my dreams all crazy and vivid. And recurring. Bizarre really. I know it's because of stress (I'm a police investigator these days y'all. NCIS kinda stuff...grr students!!!!) and because it's the end of term. And I know I've said it before, but I'm tired of being tired. So...I'm making a resolution to be more awake. I'm not really sure if this will work, but I'm giving it a go. If anyone has any helpful suggestions as to how to do this besides sugar, caffeine, exercise, yoga (tried them all!) then please do share. Cause man, this is ridiculous.

Love to all,
Elizzzzzzzzzzzz :)

2 comments:

Boots said...

Try this:

Avoid all sugar (glucose). Avoid white flour. Avoid dairy products. Eat complex carbohydrates (Whole Wheat, Brown Rice, Millet, Buckwheat, Corn). Eat plenty of vegetables, especially things like kale, carrots, green cabbage, mustard greens, cauliflower, bok choy, radishes, parsnips, butternut squash, pumpkin. Also, eat lost of legumes (black beans, chick peas, lentils, adzuki beans). These foods are easy for the body to digest and absorb and will really help you out. Also, try spending time away from thinking. Take walks, bike rides, meditate, but seriously, give your frontal lobe a break. Thinking is tiring and will wear you out. Also, and I know it's hard to do, try to avoid stress (needless stress) and when you get too much stress just remember you can always say no to it (regardless of what others might think).

Being tired is usually a sign that you aren't eating the right foods, that you are stressed/worried, and that you are generally out of balance in some aspect of your life.

Keep it simple at first. Eat things you know will make your body feel good (not neccessarily foods that will give you an instant pleasant feeling i.e. Milky Way/Snickers...go for an apple instead) As you get a sense of how your body reacts, introduce other foods and see what happens.

Generally, the foods we eat are saturated with corn syrup and we have easy easy access to glucose. Glucose gets absorbed directly into the blood stream and the body needs to do no work at all to get energy. The result is, a quick burning boost of metabolic energy, but after a few minutes (30 minutes or so) the body crashes and you feel worse than you did. Where as, if you eat a bowl of oatmeal, or an apple, or some nuts, carrots, etc. Your body has to take actually do some work to convert the sugars contained in them and the result is a slower burning, metabolic energy...which gives you a more sustained and pleasant energy.

Try it out. See how it works.

Boots said...

Brief clarification: You need to sugar to live, or you'll die. And in fact, the body just converts all other forms of sugar into glucose to keep your body running...however, if you take in big doses of sweets you get a quick high and then a big big plummeting, crashing low. So, the good thing to do is eat complex carbohydrates (which are sugars in themselves) and let your body slowly convert them which will give a longer, more rounded, and sustained energy.

Sorry, I didn't like that 'Avoid all sugar' comment I made (cause it ain't possible)

Reader Locations