I'm in Cambridge. In the University Library. Drinking some tea. I keep hearing people talk about how this place is better. About how they "beat" Oxford. Hmm. Well, this may be true in terms of international rankings (though I've never trusted such surveys). And it's certainly true of the current and overall rowing victories (but rowing isn't a real sport ;p). But let me just pipe in my own opinions. I'll keep score throughout the weekend. So far the tally:
Cambridge 0 - Oxford 1: The rail station is a 40-50 min walk from the Library. This is ridiculous.
Cambridge 0 - Oxford 2: The Library is comparatively modern and yet there are very few places in which to plug in and power your laptop. I've been in the cafe most of the afternoon so I didn't run out of battery.
Cambridge 1 - Oxford 2: The Library has a cafe!!!! Maybe I should give more points for this. It's overpriced, sea foam green, and not very delicious, but doggone-it, I can get tea and coffee without having to swipe in and out of the library.
Cambridge 2 - Oxford 2: The Library staff are super nice.
Cambridge 2 - Oxford 3: The Bod staff are super nice too.
Cambridge 3 - Oxford 3: NONE of my students are here!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha ha! This blog is the extent of my distractions today. I've actually gotten a lot done.
Cambridge 4 - Oxford 3: It is really beautiful round here. I mean, I love how many of the colleges back up to the river. Lovely.
Cambridge 4 - Oxford 4: I still like Oxford better. Yes, I'm biased, but I prefer the smaller size. It's good there are less shops to distract me and my wallet. And it seems more cycle friendly.
So so far an even score. I do, however, think it is probably better to be a grad student in Ox. Less distractions (so long as you aren't employed by a college) and a better library. Oh but the cafe. And now I'm getting kicked out of it. Perhaps it's not so great after all.
Love to all from the Other Place,
Elizabeth
Friday, July 02, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment