Tomorrow I'm submitting some drafts to my supervisor. I know they are supposed to be drafts. I know he knows they are supposed to be drafts. He has never, once, said anything bad or discouraging. He is supportive. And yet, I am nervous about giving him my work, lest he suddenly discover I'm an idiot. I know this won't happen. I know rationally it is not true. I know my work is well researched and thought out. I know I have to make changes, because that's what you do with a draft. But I have the fear! Nearly every grad student in Oxford has this fear. It's not spoken about, but it's rampant. It means that we all fear this comic becoming a reality:
I suppose the only way around this fear is to acknowledge it, accept it, and move beyond it. So, I have the fear. I'm not a fan, but there it is. I'm going to submit my work anyway, because even if it's bad, well, it's a draft and I will fix it. It's fine as long as I keep writing. I just hope my supervisor remembers that it is a draft too! :)
Love to all,
Elizabeth
Thursday, September 01, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment