Livin' in the Post-Victory High:
Only slept about 3 and a half hours last night. Only slept about 4-5 the night before. For some reason this week sleep evades me. I say this to warn you, my precious readers, that I'm sure this particular entry will be laden with errors and confusing statements. I'm beginning to realize that my level 3 length (I meant strength. I could have erased that, but I wanted you to see my exhaustion) cup of tea is just not strong enough.
Last night was completely my own fault. You my faithful friends and family know very well that though I am so excited to be in Oxford, I would've flown home for the game (#5 U of L vs. #3 West Virginia, both undefeated, and at home, for those of you living under a rock!) last night in an absolute instant had it been possible. I can't believe I had to miss the BIGGEST game in school history!!! Ergh. On the plus side, I was able to pay $6.95/month to listen to good ole 84 WHAS over my computer. Also on the plus side, my wonderful friend Alvin called me repeatedly during the game so that I could feel included. Jeffrey called me immediately after to give me the full recap. And Roy, well Roy did the best thing of all. Roy taped the game for me so I can watch it when I come home for Christmas. Don't worry folks, my life in Oxford has not dampened my genetic cardinal mania one little bit. Ooh, and my $6.95/month will get me through the rest of football season and all of basketball season for approx. $35.00!! Rock on! I foresee many late nights ahead. Totally worth it. (PS. I hate/love you my friends who got to storm the field. I'm so damn jealous I can't see straight!)
So, bed time at 5 and up again at 8:30 is no fun, but I have tea! And it's my last day of Paleography! *insert choir of angels singing Handel's Messiah* Next week we FINALLY get to venture into the Bodleian to look at actual manuscripts. Whoo hoo! I'm certainly improving, though I don't think I'll ever reach scholarly status with these things. It all depends on the latin. Latin! At least I can translate the words to Mozart's Requiem, which I saw last night in honor of All Souls day. The Magdalen (pronounced Maud-lyn) Chapel Choir performed the requiem during their choral eucharist. It was an all boys choir, which I enjoyed immensely simply because of the enthusiasm of the young boys and irrespective of their actual talent. Cut offs were sloppy as were some of the introductions, and you couldn't hear the priest for anything, but I really enjoyed myself. I couldn't help thinking how wonderful it would've been to enjoy with Mom, Aunt Kathy, and Uncle Steve.
Tuesday marked Halloween; a very unimportant celebration on the British holiday priority list. We (15 members of the Oriel MCR) went to Lady Margaret Hall for an exchange dinner (they will come to Oriel this Thursday) and enjoyed ourselves immensely. Some of us too much after the game 'Penny' was introduced. I won't elaborate on the rules of this game, as I don't want my semi-teetotaler image to be curtailed, but pennies and wine don't mix, and I only had 2 glasses of wine. You can thus imagine how much some of my compatriots enjoyed themselves. It was so much fun though, and I finally (nearly six weeks in to this British experiment) got my first hug! I have been missing hugs. That I've missed them from Jeffrey is a no-brainer, but even the lack of hugs from my friends has left me lonely. We are a huggy-bunch you know. So, the LMH exchange really became a turning point for all of us new to the Oriel MCR, for we finally crossed the boundary of 'still getting to know you' into 'actually know you really well' friends. It's nice to have a sense of security in my friendships here.
Monday I attempted the creation of 'Mama's Chili,' my granny's recipe that is a fall staple in my house, particularly on Halloween. I was missing the key ingredient, Bloemer's Chili, which is only found frozen and might only be in Louisville. It's certainly not here! I was thus fighting an uphill battle with this chili, but I managed with some extra tomato paste, chili powder, and some tumeric to make a delicious meal. It wasn't right, but I was the only one who knew that. Rich and Sam ate three bowls each. As a result I mark my first attempt at my families' prized chili recipe as a success. Yeah me! Now I have to make fried chicken, biscuits (not the British kind), and gravy, as well as Thanksgiving dinner. Any emailed recipes will be welcome. And will someone please send me some Bisquick? :) Cheers!
Friday, November 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Sleep is for the weak. Or so says Isaac...
You know, the rugged Kentucky pioneers made biscuits without Bizquick. Just sayin'. You could look up Ye Olde Biscuite Manuscripte.
Love ya - Erika
You were greatly missed at the game. I can't say that enough!
Post a Comment