Thursday, December 06, 2007

My Advice? Don't Start an Electrical Fire:

Um yeah...so I burnt up the power cables to my laptop, mobile phone, and ipod yesterday...not to mention the surge protector (which obviously didn't really do it's job) because my humidifier decided to have a day and fry itself. So I'm sorta without a computer (I'm on one in the college computer lab, but this is not something I can pick up and take into the library...I think that would make the college mad at me) until my new power cord arrives. :( This is what you call bad timing folks, cause, you know, I'm writing my thesis and all. Boo. Hiss. Thankfully (visualizes silver lining on cloud) I only need to take some more notes today, so it's the good ole pen and paper for me. And I think Ruth is going to let me borrow her laptop. Yay for good friends!! And thankfully, the electronics themselves still work. The humidifier? Not so much. Incidentally, fried humidifiers do not smell good. Just so ya know.

My work, other than this little setback, is going fairly well at the moment. My supervisor is happy, I've been asked to interview and help select the next class of Oriel College undergraduate historians, which is a HUGE honor, and my proposal to speak at the International Medieval Congress (Leeds) next July has been approved. Also, my housemate Becca and I cooked an awesome Thanksgiving dinner last night for 20 people. We rocked it. I'm still full. So, I suppose with all this good it's only natural that something would go up in smoke. I just didn't expect it to be so literal. C'est la vie.

Love,
Elizabeth xxx

2 comments:

The A Team said...

So sorry to hear about your dilemma. You may recall we had our own humidifier drama with L a few weeks back.. Who would have thought, so much trouble, just for a little attempt to breathe....
Hope luck improves quickly!

Unknown said...

It was nice to see you this morning, I was feeling a bit lonely because there isn't much going around in the MCR. Oh... so the interview was not for your DPhil. Anyway, I hope you don't have a serious delay in your dissertation. See you around.

Reader Locations