Monday, February 04, 2008

In a 'super' haze:

Hello beloved ones. I'm sorry for not posting as I should, but I've had little inspiration to write, though I've been fairly busy for one leading a life of leisure. Last Monday was Prof. Nicholas Orme, who spoke to the Medieval History seminar about chapels in late medieval England. I had a wonderful time listening to him speak, but was discouraged when his work on medieval childhood was ignored from the customary list of the speaker's work and accomplishments. The historical world seems to have little respect for historians of childhood, and as such I'm quite content with my decision to focus my future work on parents.

Tuesday I went with my friend Oliver to watch the Oxford v. RAF (Royal Air Force) rugby match in which my dear friend Hugh played and scored two tries (for those of you who don't know about rugby let's just call it a touchdown that's worth 5 points instead of 6). It was good fun and I was lucky to have Oliver there to explain to me what I didn't understand. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it! And I'm super proud of Hugh, who made his debut for the Oxford team after two years off. Congratulations!

On Wednesday the Oriel darts team defeated Lincoln and I picked up a small side job from one of the Oriel Fellows of History proofreading an article she's sending to an American history journal. I was honored and excited to have some work to do.

Friday was a debacle as the History Faculty emailed to say that one of my letters of recommendation for the DPhil had 'gone astray'. Hmm. I was immensely stressed, but held it together far better than I expected and as of this morning the letter has mysteriously reappeared! Thank goodness. I also had dinner with folks from Clare College, Cambridge, our sister college, though I was rotten at socializing as I had to jet to the pub to see my medievalist mates.

Saturday was the first day of Six Nations Rugby in which England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, France, and Italy all compete against one another over about six weeks. This week was England v. Wales, a biggie, and I had the joy of watching Rich's happy face as Wales came from behind by 13 to beat England 26-19. Needless to say my English mates were not thrilled. I also went out for a girl's night with Ruth. Good times were had by all.

Last night, to top off my sports week, I went with Hugh to the University College MCR(Bill Clinton's old haunts) for their Super Bowl bash. Hot dogs, wings, Doritos, and a big tv = awesomeness. Yes, I did not get home until 3:30am because of the time difference, but cheering the Giants to victory and gloating to the fans of the Patriots was good fun. I am truly my father's daughter. :)

This week promises to be another good one as I'm going back to the library and back to work. I feel ready! It's also Pancake day tomorrow (Fat Tuesday) and then good ole Lent. I'm not sure as to what I will give up just yet, but I'm thinking of taking something on instead of giving something up. Any suggestions? I'm also holding out for a spot in a choir because my ache for all things music related is growing every day. I am truly my mother's daughter. :)

I'm missing everyone at home very much, but feeling very confident in my life here at the moment and I'm extremely thankful for that.

I'll leave you with a request that everyone check out my cousin Aidan's picture blog at www.not-always-so.blogspot.com to see his amazing pictures. I am very proud of him and his ever-increasing talents in so many artistic fields.

Love and peace to all,
Elizabeth


P.S. Go Cards! Beat Marquette!

No comments:

Reader Locations