Thursday, February 07, 2008

Movin' On Up:

Guess what????? I've been asked to teach! Yay!!!! Yup, little ole me is going to tutor a few undergraduates in essay writing. I am very excited and honored. Thrilled too. It won't be much teaching, but should be good fun and it speaks to what my college advisors think of me that they've asked me to teach. (Couldn't also be because I'm the only graduate student with loads of free time on my hands, could it? Surely not.) It pays very well (roughly $45 USD an hour), so hopefully I can get more than a few hours a week, but I'll take whatever I'm offered. There are very few teaching opportunities for graduate students in Oxford, so this really is a blessing. If nothing else, I can always say that I taught at Oxford University. :)

Love,
Elizabeth

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats, indeed! I used to teach, but the department closed down my tutorial class. It was because there were only two students. Now, I am only going to teach for popular subjects! I used to teach Einstein's general relativity.

Boots said...

very good for you.

The A Team said...

WOW! Another HUGE accomplishment.
I am so excited for you. Hope you get lots of opportunity to teach and earn $.

Joe said...

Congratulations! Teaching is a great experience, and the Oxford system is rather unique.

Unfortunately, the pay will seem a lot less good when you realise how long it takes to correct the students work and to prepare for tutes (since you don't get paid for preparation time).

Actually the key is to find some revision tutes to do, since these are often larger classes for longer periods of time (I did a few two hour tutes with 9 students in each). The pay scales depending on how many students are in each tute, but the aim is usually to have 2 to 1 tuition.

You really don't want to end up doing more than 6 hours a week. At one point I had 8 hours a week, and it really ate up a large chunk of my research time once you factor in preparation. A good rule of thumb is 2 hours preparation for every 1 contact hour.

Anyway, best of luck with the teaching.

Reader Locations