Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Catching Up and an Anecdote Not to Miss:

Sorry, sorry, sorry! I've been waiting to update until I had something with which to update. I still don't have the answers to everyone's questions, but I do have a job offer! Oriel College has offered me the position of Junior Dean starting in October. Yay! This is of course dependent on those ever-elusive results which are due to come 'anytime now' as they have been for the last eight weeks. *Sigh learning patience Sigh*

It's been a few big weeks in my family life with Mother's Day, Dad's Bday, Granny's Bday, Grandma's Bday, my cousin Ben's wedding, and my parents' anniversary. Whoa! Needless to say I'm quite happy and thankful for all of these people in my life and I was missing each event very much.

I'm preparing now for a week long trip to Scotland with my friend Oliver and his girlfriend Martha and their friends from Sheffield University. There are seven of us jaunting up north for the week, leaving Saturday, and driving the length of Scotland to a cabin outside of Coldbackie, near the arctic coast. Whoo adventure! I'm excited about this trip and I've been assured I will get along with the other members of our party, particularly because half of them are historians.
:) You see, history connects us all.

Don't forget to sponsor me for whatever you can donate before June 7! I'm going to run the whole darn thing even if it kills me so please offer up your support. You can do it here:
http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/elizabethrussell And apparently they do not accept American Express (ha ha) so, alternative credit cards must be used. Sorry!! And thank you so much in advance for your donations! They mean so much!

Now a little anecdote for you all about my famous family. I was catching up with my friend Matthew in Latin class last week as he had been gone the week before to attend the Medieval Conference in Kalamazoo, Michigan. This is one of two big conferences for medievalists (the other being the Leeds one I am speaking at in July) and is something my Uncle Steve has told me about and involved me in ever since I expressed an interest in all things medieval. I mentioned that my uncle kept me updated on the goings-on in Kalamazoo when Matthew asked who my uncle was and how he was connected with the medieval world. I began the answer to Matthew's question with my uncle's name, "My uncle is Steven Plank" when Matthew interrupted me to say "THE Steven Plank? The musicologist? That's YOUR uncle? Oh my gosh! I'm such a fan! Wow, wow." :) I think Matthew's appreciation of me was raised by association with my famous uncle's name. In any case it made me all warm and fuzzy inside. MY uncle is Steven Plank. :)~ I only know two other girls who can say the same thing. And I'm sure they'd be just as happy and proud to proclaim it as I.

Happy days to all,
Love,
Elizabeth
aka The First Niece of THE Steven Plank

No comments:

Reader Locations