Today was the first introduction of we deans to the undergraduate freshers (freshmen). It is a funny thing trying to sum up oneself and one's role as it relates to said freshers in a few words. How do you keep their attention when they have to remember the names and roles of four deans, all women? I'm thrilled that for the first time in Oriel's history the decanal staff is entirely female, but with 3/4 of us also American and 1/2 brunette, I'm afraid ostensibly I don't really stand out that much. And what is it that I really do? I yell at you if you are too loud or I comfort you if you are sad. I take you to the hospital if sick or injured or I punish you if you break a major rule. Um, so at the end of the day, in England, I really think that 'Hi, I'm Elizabeth and I can make tea,' really is the best thing to say. And it's true too. So, heck, that's not a bad way to start a new relationship: with truth and tea.
Love,
Elizabeth
Monday, October 06, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Then, I should introduce myself as 'Hi, I am Mars and I am Elizabeth's squash coach' :-) Email me when you want to do another session!
Hi, I am Regina and I think at one time, I kind of played the same role that you're now doing. As your dorm "MOM". And you also played the role for me as study buddy, encourager and handholder. Things do come full circle. As for standing out, you always stand out, my lady, no matter where you are and don't forget it. Love you
Post a Comment