Friday, October 03, 2008

Perspectives from Infection:

So, horror of all horrors, my computer has a virus and 'whoo' I get to wipe the hard-drive because the dag-gone thing is so embedded that my 7 hours spent at Computer Services yesterday produced nothing but dead-ends. Turns out this nasty little bug could be following my every move and reporting it to someone who wants to steal my information or give me advertising tips. As if I need someone telling me what to buy. Ha. I can do that on my own thank you very much. And yes, I'm glossing over the scary 'stealing of information' part because I just don't even want to think about that. I've changed some passwords and think everything is fairly safe, but sheesh, this makes me nervous. Lesson for all you people out there...back up everything on your computer! Like any good graduate student my work is well backed-up, but my music files and photos, um, not so much. I'm fortunate this type of virus didn't crash my computer, because I'm able to back these up after the infection (side note, I'm highly entertained by the medical terminology that is used in these situations, dunno why, but I am) and before I wipe it, but it is a hassle and a half. I'm so thankful this happened before I've really gotten to work; it could have been much worse.

Ah, but life without a computer is shamefully boring. I really am upset about how much I miss the darn thing. It is my tv, my dvd player, my cd player, my radio, my phone, my letter-writer, and so much more. It entertains me, challenges me, and keeps me in touch with my family and friends (obviously I'm currently sitting in the College computer lab because I love you all so much!). And to a certain extent, this is sad. I wish I was not so reliant on a machine. But I need it to do my research, my work, my communicating, and even my vegging out these days.

So, what am I doing instead? Well, I still have access to other computers. And then there are the machines of my cell phone and ipod which help. But I've also been walking around a bit more. Meeting new students a bit more than I might have this early in the term. And, of course, I'm reading. Which when you don't have to do it is pretty much the best thing ever. I'm getting to know my bible better (perhaps this was meant to be) and I'm super thankful for my Aunt Kathy and Uncle Steve because, you know, they are my book suppliers. ;) I'm on Geraldine Brooks' 'March' at the moment. Good stuff. Please all, do join me (once you've read blog of course!) in taking some time to read for fun or take a good walk or have a good face to face chat. You'll be surprised how much more connected to the world you feel doing any one of these things than when you spend that same amount of time communing with the computer.

Love to all,
Elizabeth

2 comments:

Granny said...

Sorry about the computer bug. We miss you. You sound good. Love you much.

Anonymous said...

Okay, well I was going to make a "stay off those porn sites and you won't get viruses" comment, but now that I'm following my Granny in the comments I'm kind of sheepish about the whole thing...

Love you - Erika

Reader Locations