Every first and third Thursday of the month there is a farmer's market in Gloucester Green, Oxford's market square. It has fresh goat's cheese, local vegetables, delicious baked bread, and other wonderful products and produce. Over the last year or so (or more?! I'm not sure!) my friends and I have made it a tradition to go each of these Thursdays to enjoy the market and some coffee before going back to work. We also have breakfast there. We have doughnuts/donuts. A bakery from Reading comes twice a month to bring freshly baked doughnuts filled with delicious home-made and seasonal fillings. Jams, custard, chocolate. It's all there. It's delicious. Today was what we now loving call, "Doughnut Day". I had a vanilla custard doughnut with a cup of coffee and a banana. So yummy! I love doughnut day. I don't care to think about how often I'm now eating doughnuts. Especially when occasionally I splurge and have something else to eat as well, such as a sausage roll or bacon sandwich. The vendors bring in these great products and cook them fresh in front of you. Think whole pig on a spit. So did I splurge today? Well, yes. Today I had a piece of fried chicken. I do not know why. It was only a drumstick. It tasted like home. I think my stomach subconsciously knew that the Kentucky State Fair was beginning today. It was the closest equivalent. So for breakfast today I had a doughnut and fried chicken. And while I'm worried for my arteries, I feel very satisfied with my choices. They made me happy. And they tasted so good.
Love to all,
Elizabeth
Thursday, August 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment