Coffee Buzz? I Think Not:
Well, I've just participated in the first MCR coffee tasting in which I consumed six shots of espresso in little less than two hours. So two things. First, I drank black coffee and I didn't puke. I made some funny faces at the less than favorable flavours (that 'u' was not on purpose, it just came out and I'm leaving it because I think it's funny that I now have to think to not include an arguably unnecessary 'u'), but I kept on drinking. Most of you know that as a Russell, I am not really a coffee drinker. In recent years with the advent of Starbucks et al, I've been able to venture into the world of flavored (sans 'u') coffees, mostly with a chocolaty tinge. Upon my arrival in England I've been able to add coffees with milk or foam to my repertoire (i.e.: lattes, cappuccinos and the like). But today, for the first time, I had plain ole coffee beans in espresso form. I'm not sure if I've defeated my genetic disinclination towards coffee or if my mother's half of me has finally supersede the Russell bias, but nevertheless, here I am with six cups of espresso in my system. Second, I find it intriguing that I'm now more sleepy than I was before drinking said coffees. Honestly, I want to leave the library and go take a nap. It is all I can do to keep myself here, eyes growing heavier by the second, pretending to read. Geoff assured me that in about six hours from consumption (that means I have about four more to go...) I will be wired. I just have to wonder: why the delay? To further increase the likelihood of some type of coffee/sugar-induced buzz I also ate five or six (I lost count!) biscuits (of the Danish shortbread cookie variety...incidentally, those don't really count in your daily calorie intake do they? I mean, it's one bite per cookie!). So why am I sleepy? And why should I feel guilty if I take a small nap in the Bod? I've been here since 9 am. That should count for something. Regardless, I'm now living in perpetual fear of the ever-impending coffee buzz. I think next time, I may opt-out of the taste testing. Or, at least avoid tasting every coffee.
Love,
Elizabeth
P.S. I now smell like coffee too!
Wednesday, August 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment