Monday, August 27, 2007

New Perspective:

Well folks, I'm all moved into my new house across town. By all moved in I really mean that all my stuff is out of JMH and somewhere in the new house. My room is pretty well settled, though it's half the size of my old room, so I'm having some trouble fitting everything in it. I had to move my wardrobe into the hallway because I was becoming claustrophobic with it in my room. It's a lovely little room though, on the third floor of the house, with a fireplace and a nice view of the many trees behind our house. I am hoping to continue on my road to fitness with this room, as I now have to walk down a flight and a half of stairs to get to the bathroom and three flights to get to the kitchen. I never realized how great I had it in the dorms! It is nice to be surrounded by so many wonderful housemates, and I'm trying to temper my jealousy at their very large rooms. But I wanted to pay the least amount, so here I am. I do have to wonder why my rooms in recent years are always yellow however. It's like being back home! I will post pictures once we have the internet, which will be several weeks. For now, I'm enjoying the opportunity to view Oxford from this new perspective.

I'm slightly grumpy today as it is a bank holiday here in the UK and everything is closed. Our house needs many things: garbage cans, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc. and we cannot purchase them today. I find this ridiculous because this is the one day when we could all conceivably be off work. I, for one, attempted to go to work this morning and was livid when I found the library was open for the enjoyment of tourists but not for students! I couldn't believe it. Why can I not be allowed to read my books?! I have three weeks until my intensive Latin course begins and I'm attempting to get as much research done before that day. With the library closed on Sundays and only open for 4 hours on Saturdays, as well as closing 3 hours earlier everyday because it's summer, I'm losing precious hours of study time. It makes me even more annoyed that I can't be trusted to remove my books from the library. A historian has more reverence and protectiveness towards books and sources than anyone. I can be trusted!

In sports news, football season begins this week! Yeah!!! And in the world of British football, Manchester United has finally won their first game after three weeks without a win. We are out of relegation and in 10th place in the league table. Chelsea is first...grrrrr. I really feel a sense of U of L v. UK rivalry in my attitude towards Man U and Chelsea. Red v. Blue. Hard workers v. whiny punks. ;) Anyway, I don't like Chelsea. I'll leave you with a great image of celebrations after Nani's goal in the 68th min. to win it for Man U. He's only 20. Sheesh.



Wishing everyone a great week full of new perspectives and victories for teams wearing red,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Reader Locations