On This Day in History:
Happy Birthday Ted! On this day, in 19** (I'm not that cruel), my grandfather, Ted Bridgewater was born. A chorus of angels sang and the world bowed down and praised the Lord for such a creation! (Well, ok, perhaps I'm exaggerating slightly, but nonetheless it was a joyous day I'm sure.)
I thought in honor of Ted, a retired history teacher and civil war fanatic, we could play a wonderful game entitled 'On this day in History'. So, sit back and get out your notepad and pen, 'cause here comes a short history lesson folks:
On this day in history in the year 43 BC, Octavian, later Caesar Augustus, the first Emperor of Rome, convinced the Roman senate to elect him Consul, further elevating his status and power in the Roman world.
On this day in history in 1561, after thirteen years in France, Mary Queen of Scots returned to Scotland to rule her people and with a claim to the English throne because of her Catholic belief and in spite of the rule of Queen Elizabeth I. A tumultuous reign and life followed for the 18 year old queen, culminating in imprisonment and execution at the hands of Elizabeth in 1587.
On this day in history in 1782 the last major engagement of the American Revolution took place at the Battle of Blue Licks in Kentucky. The battle occurred ten months after the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown, which had ended the war (effectively) in the east. Near the Licking River (present day Robertson County) a force of 50 British rangers and 300 American Indians ambushed and defeated 182 Kentucky militiamen. It was the worst defeat for the Kentuckians in the entire war.
On this day in history in 1812 (if you're thinking the War of 1812 then you are right on track!) the American warship the USS Constitution defeated the British HMS Guerriere off the coast of Nova Scotia, earning the ship the nickname 'Old Ironsides'.
And finally, on this day in history in 1862, Dakota warriors, as part of the Dakota War of 1862 and in continuing conflict with US forces to prevent the loss of land and indigenous culture bypassed the heavily guarded Fort Ridgely and decided instead to attack the settlement of New Ulm in Minnesota, killing white settlers along the way. The Indian Wars continued until the massacre at the Battle of Wounded Knee in 1890.
I realize I've just ended this on a depressing note. So I suppose a more light-hearted historical tidbit is necessary. On this day in history in 1934, in addition to the election of Adolf Hitler as German President (he was already Chancellor and achieved his presidency through the title of Fuhrer), the first ever All-American Soap Box Derby was held in Dayton OH. I'm not sure who won, but I think it serves as a reminder that although history tends to most easily remember the conflicts, struggles, and altogether dark sides of the human experience, it also has room for achievements and beauty, like the memory of the soap box derby. Or, the last performance of world-renowned conductor Leonard Bernstein, who on this day in 1990, ended his career with a final performance of Beethoven's Symphony No. 7.
A very Happy Birthday to you Ted. Here's to many more!
Love,
Elizabeth
Sunday, August 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment