Hello all. Sorry for the delay in storytelling. I've been super knackered (as the Brits say) the last few days. I know my allergies have something to do with it, but I think it's also the ramification of the last few weeks. I don't want to be sleeping all day though! I want to work! But I walk into the library and get instantly sleepy. Mmmm....sleep. I will try to write this whole blog before I sleep however!
I forgot to mention how my presentation went. Whoops. It went great! My coursemates were interested in my topic. I knew the answers to all the questions. And the convener, Dr. Chris Wickham, was happy with my presentation. That means more to me than anything. He, along with my other professors here (excluding one) have been very supportive. They believe in me and that makes it all worthwhile. On a related note, I need to say a very huge THANK YOU to Uncle Steve for editing my essays. I'm definitely dedicating my dissertation to you Uncle Steve. Of course, that means you'll have to edit that too. I hope you're up for the challenge! :)
Now then, for some Oxonian Traditions.
1. Punting. A few weeks ago (and tonight actually, whoo!) I went punting for the first time. Think boats in the Venetian canals. It is not easy let me tell you, but it is really fun. With a big metal pole you push yourself (and your four lazy friends who are lounging on the boat while you do all the work) around the most beautiful parts of Oxford. If you are me, you lose your gold hoops that your Dad bought you right before you came back to Oxford at Easter because one of them just decides to fall in the water. Gold hoops don't float if you were wondering. If you are Rich, a tree hits you in the face and knocks your glasses into the water. This, in my opinion, is worse than losing said earrings. However, if you are my friends and I you soldier on and enjoy the lovely weather and scenery. Well, except for Rich who can no longer see. Sorry mate! If you are Sam, you arrive late and make me punt to the bank to pick you up. If you are Ruth, you happily snap pictures of the big mess that is Elizabeth punting! But it really was fun, and a good arm workout too. (New Jazzercise routine Erika?)
2. Trashing. For the majority of term the undergraduates and graduate students have been filing into the Examination Schools in sub-fusc (remember, I told you what that was sometime back) and taking their examinations. With each exam a friend is supposed to purchase you a carnation to wear on your gown in either white, pink, or red. White means that it is your first exam, pink is a middle exam (there could be loads of these), and red means you are taking your final exam. Rich tells me this comes from an Oxford student from ages ago (yeah, as a historian I was asking for all the chronological details and facts, but got none, so I'm not sure about the exact truth behind the story, however it is plausible) who bought himself a white flower to wear on his first exam. At night to keep the same flower alive for his next exam he would place it in beetroot juice. So, over the course of his exams it soaked up the juice and changed color from pink to red. Nice huh? Anyhoo, trashing. So, when someone finishes their exams for the year, they are met outside of the Exam Schools by their mates who have glitter, balloons, flowers, and champagne. It's fun to watch because these students then parade around town to the pubs to celebrate the completion of exams covered in all this stuff. Sometimes though, the stuff in which they are covered is more severe, and this is real trashing. Eggs are thrown, milk and flour poured over ones head, bird feathers are used. Basically, the suit one is wearing for exams is ruined! And the remnants of all the trashing makes campus smell like freshly baked bread. Not so bad, but man, when you run your bike through a big pile of left-over feathers, it's not so fun! I intended to have a picture of all this, but was working on my essays so it didn't happen. But here is a picture of my friend Tori being shot with water guns after she finished her exams (Well Done Tori!). Notice the balloons and confetti and whatnot.

3. Encaenia. This happened yesterday. Encaenia is the honorary degree ceremony held every summer in which distinguished persons are awarded their degrees. Here is the link to the Oxford news article for a description of all the degrees from this year. http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/po/news/2006-07/jun/20.shtml
There is a large procession throughout Radcliffe Square and the Bodleian/Sheldonian Quad in which the Chancellor leads the recipients and members of the faculty and student body around.
See here the Chancellor coming out of the Bodleian Library (yesterday!):

The honorants enter the Divinity School to sign their names into a book and it's all very grand. If you would like a nice image please watch the Inspector Morse episode Twilight of the Gods. Just leave out the whole murder part. ;) For you good ole democrats at home, one of the honorary recipients was dum da da dum....Jimmy Carter! Cool huh?
Here he is processing after receiving his honorary Doctorate in Civil Law:

So, there are just a few summer traditions of beautiful Oxford. I must say, it really is beautiful this time of year. I would hate to be at home right now in the hot and dry. The warmest it's been here is about 75 and it rains a bit everyday. It's green and just lovely. Though a little too windy for my tastes as it pushes my bike towards traffic when I ride. However, all are invited to come and visit, sipping Pimm's in the punt on a sunny afternoon, truly enjoying the good life.
Love to all, and rain to those at home,
Elizabeth

No comments:
Post a Comment