Friday, November 16, 2007

From The Courier:

If anyone has ever wondered how I know so much about what's going on in the Ville from the ford of the ox, well I'm ready to reveal my source. Every morning, before I begin my work, I read the Courier Journal. Unlike Aunt Kathy and Uncle Steve, I don't have it sent to me, but I am able to enjoy most of it's delights via it's webpage. In fact, sometimes I think the news may be better this way. It's up to date, quick, and I can choose what I want to read without feeling guilty for killing trees. Ok, so my carbon footprint grows with each second on the computer, but I'm on it anyway, and I bike, so it's all good.

The thing I love about www.courier-journal.com is that it's easy to navigate and informative, but also allows me to feel the humanity, caring, and thought that I feel is all involved in being a Louisvillian. There's something very special about being a Louisvillian. I would not trade it for the world. As I shift ever closer to the stage where I will be out searching for a career, raising a family, and settling down (so to speak), I feel more and more remorse that my interests as a medieval historian are less and less conducive to life in Louisville. On the other hand, I am more and more convinced that Louisville is the best place in the world in which to grow up. I am biased of course, but the combination of city, small town, close community, diversity, southern charm, and mid-western accent and quite frankly, loads of friendliness, is ideal. It's a safe place, but it's not a utopia. It's as human as a place can be. Not to mention, a premier University with great athletics and academics (yeah, athletics sadly comes first) and the BEST school in the entire world, the Brown School (and bias raises it's ugly head again).

The reason I'm off on this tangent is the recent inundation on the website of the Hughes family's home remodel via Extreme Makeover:Home Edition. I've seen Patrick Henry Hughes and his father in U of L football games, and on Oprah. This is an amazing family. Patrick Henry is so full of positive thought, his parents and brothers so full of love and support. It warms my heart each time I hear his story. And I've gotta tell you folks, I've been crying like a big homesick baby this week reading all about the adventure in Buechel. Had I been home I know I would've been there. Who would want to miss that? I guess my rambling point is, that I am so proud of this family, and so so happy they come from my hometown.

And what drove this home for me? The quote from Patrick's father in this morning's web article: "I'm just a guy." And you know what? He is. He's just a guy. He's just a Louisville guy. Loving, kind, selfless, and a family man. That's not to say that he's not unusual or special, because of course he is. But more often than not, from Louisville, you've got 'just guys'. I know because they permeate my own family. Generations of them. I suppose I should expand that to Kentucky, but the truth is, no matter how long you've lived in Louisville, whether for a lifetime or a few days, it becomes part of you. So three cheers to this amazing family. And three more to my own.

Love,
Elizabeth

P.S. Check out some of today's most heartwarming articles from the CJ online:
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071116/NEWS01/71116002
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071116/NEWS02/711160438
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071116/COLUMNISTS02/71116005

The last one about Louisville Basketball is especially heartwarming. :) Go Cards!

1 comment:

The A Team said...

Preach on Sister! There is no place like Louisville. It will always be home to me. It still strikes me as odd occasionally that my girls only know it as a place they visit...

Reader Locations