I'm a busy gal. If I never respond to your emails or you can't get a hold of me on the phone, this is why. Here's a list of the things I have to do throughout any given week of term.
1. Thesis: Research, Writing, Editing, etc. It takes up a lot of time.
2. Deaning: College meetings, Dean's hours, shutting down bops, etc. EMAIL. There is SO MUCH EMAIL. It takes up less time than my thesis these days, but that's because I now stay out of my room and hide in the library.
3. Seminars: I go to some (Medieval History Seminar, Medieval English Research Seminar...) and I co-convene one, the best one...Medieval Church and Culture (MCC for short). It's on Tuesday nights at 5:15. We talk about the medieval church and culture. :)
4. Chapel: I'm a bible clerk in the College chapel. Did I never tell you this? I've been doing it for a year. On Sundays and Thursdays I help make sure the services run smoothly and once a week I read the College Prayer at dinner. I light candles, read the lessons, ring the bell, hand out hymnals, and sometimes I'm the thurifer (that's right, incense baby!). I don't give this up because it's good for my soul. I love Sundays and Thursdays.
5. Tutoring: I attend (almost) weekly teaching training seminars and sit in on weekly British III tutorials (1330-1550). I read the students' essays and do the background reading so I don't look entirely stupid and in training I read pedagogy on university teaching. Just so you know deep learning is what we want people, not surface learning. Oh and I get to write a teaching portfolio at the end of this term, woo! (Sarcastic woo, but it is important and I'll be glad to accomplish it.)
6. Latin: I try and practice my Latin several days a week, but now I'm actually translating some for money. I do not know why I agreed to do this. I am crazy. (I do not have time for French and German, which I still need to improve on and learn respectively.)
I also try and see my friends, go to the gym, cook dinners for myself, and watch the occasional tv show (ok I lie, I watch it more than I should!). Basically, it's the beginning of week 3 of 8 and I'm already tired. BUT, and this is crucial, I'm managing. I really am. I'm no longer striving for perfection, I'm just striving for balance. I wrote the first part of my first chapter of my thesis last week and now I'm working on the beginning of another chapter. And you know what? I don't care how good it is, I'm just super, super excited to get it all out of my brain and onto paper. It feels so wonderful to accomplish something. I'll make it good later. For now, it's just so amazing to feel happily busy and productive. I like this feeling. :) And now, back to it. I've got a lot to do.
Love and balance to all,
Elizabeth
Monday, October 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment