Tuesday, October 05, 2010

I Can Has Organization:

I'm in the process of hyper-organizing my life (and DPhil) so that I cannot fail. Essentially, I'm dictating what I do each day by planning a week or two in advance. My days are divided into hour-long increments in which activities such as "Shower", "Gym" and "Lunch" are fitted in. I have a GIANT white board with my thesis plan on one side and tasks still do to on another. I have a room, in which only thesis-related things happen. There is no Internet in there. Also, there is no heat (but that's not technically relevant). I've reduced my Dean's hours, put up message boards, and asked my friends and colleagues here to tell me if I start doing too much work for the job (as is my natural state, apparently). Why am I doing all of this really? Well, I want to finish this PhD. I want to argue something interesting and intelligent; something uniquely my own. And then I want to defend it, make the corrections, and come home. I am tired of school. I am tired. Also, I want to teach school. I do not want to be in school. I think it is good that I know this. I'm realistic about who I am. I'm finally starting to see what I want. And what I want is to enjoy this city and this University as a student who is not so overburdened with job stress and responsibility that she cannot work on her thesis. So I've made lists. And charts. And I have gold stars. Yes, actual gold stars. And guess what? I'm kind of excited about it all. I'm totally going to write a kick ass thesis (pardon my language...it's needed for the effect). So yeah. That's me. Just being horribly honest. It's my new thing. Oh, and organization. But I've got to go because my time is up here. It's email admin time now. :)

Love to all,
Elizabeth

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very proud of you! Go Lizbeth go!

Reader Locations