Friday, September 21, 2007

Felicitation:

Imagine my surprise this morning when I received in my little pidge a thick, full envelope from the University of Louisville Alumni Awards Presentation. I opened it carefully, removing a cardinal red, golden sealed invitation to this year's 2007 Alumnus of the Year and Alumni Fellows presentation. Now, how could I be so lucky as to receive such a prestigious invitation? Well, I will happily and most excitedly tell you. One of the honorees to become an Alumni Fellow is my very own Uncle Steve, the so-called scholar who loves me. I could not be more thrilled! And to be honest, the award could not go to one more deserving. I have always been in awe of my uncle and appreciative of the interest which he took in me. Since my childhood I've received postcards, letters, and notes allowing me into his world, dutifully preserving the art of hand-written communication, and talking to me as if I were intelligent enough to understand his great mind. Like my mother, my uncle reached a level of education to which I aspire, and I am so lucky to have him not only as an influence, but also as a help. He reads all my papers, suggesting changes while pointing out positives in my writing and research. He is also a wonderful husband, father, and grandfather. And I can, along with his other nieces I'm sure, vouch for his great abilities in the field of uncle-hood. I speak often of how blessed I am because of my family, and my uncle Steve is another facet of these unending blessings. I wish so much to be able to attend the presentation and reception, for I know the speech he will give shall be informative, clever, and a joy to hear. I also know how very proud the rest of our family will be sitting in the audience. As a proud niece and a proud U of L alumna, I can think of nothing better to celebrate my family and our love for such a wonderful university. So far three generations in my family have degrees from U of L, and I hope many more will continue so to do. There is nothing more precious than a degree from a university which houses both education and your community. U of L is more than just a place of learning, it is a place of life. So as my uncle accepts this highest of honors I would just like to issue my felicitation of complete and utter pride. Congratulations Uncle Steve! You are so deserving and I am so very happy for you! If only I could be there in person to congratulate you. And yet, it seems fitting that I can textually send my congratulations, for it is through text that our communication properly began.

With great love, and great delight,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Reader Locations